Thursday, October 15, 2009

GREEN TOMATO SOUP


I have an abundance of green tomatoes and with the weather turning a little cooler and the rain, I don't think that my tomatoes will ripen much anymore. I decided to try out recipes utilizing the green tomatoes.
The first recipe I tried was a
Green Tomato Soup.

2 lbs green tomatoes (I used some that were turning red but not ripe)chopped
2Tbsp EVOO
20z thinly sliced Black Forest Ham chopped (1/2 C ) or Polish sausage diced(to taste)
1 bunch thinly sliced scallions- I just used sliced onions
1Tbsp or more chopped garlic (2 cloves or more depending on taste)
1 Bay leaf
1C chicken stock
2C water
1/2tsp salt
1/4tsp black pepper
Heat oil in a 3 qt. heavy saucepan over medium heat until hot, cook ham or sausage stirring occasionally until beginning to brown. Add scallions (onions), garlic, and bay leaf and cook stirring occasionally until scallions are tender and lightly browned about 6-8 minutes.
add tomatoes, broth, water, salt and pepper. Simmer partially covered until tomatoes are tender 15-20 min. or longer. Discard bay leaf adjust seasonings.
That is the basic recipe, I added diced zucchini and carrots and left over chopped cabbage, just vegetables I wanted to use up. I also had a little bit of left over pork that I chopped up and threw in. Make it your own soup by changing things up to suit you.
serves 4-6
It tastes better the next day when all the flavors blend.

No comments:

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP