Friday, February 6, 2009

Hawks

This evening we met with the Meet-Up group at Hawks in Granite Bay. It is an elegant restaurant tucked into a high end strip mall. It is elegant with out being stuffy.. a very comfortable place. It was also good to see that the place was very busy.
The service as a bit slow after being seated. I thought our waiter wasn't quite up on things and maybe a little new at being a server. It took a while to get our drinks and bread. We asked about the 7 course chef menu but that is only if the entire table orders it. The 7 courses consisted of soup, salad, pasta, fish, meat, sorbet and desert, that was $80.00 We were told that there is also a 5 course menu for $65.00, but in the end we decided to just order off the menu. We were presented with an Amuse Buche of Edamame and maybe fennel, topped with tapioca pearls that tasted like caviar. I love edamame so I really enjoyed the dish. It was a very nice presentation.For appetizers I started with the Foie Gras Terrine with carmelized pineapple and watercress, Catherine and Robert had the Cauliflower Soup with Caribbean shrimp, Sue had the fried Calimari with cannellini beans and broccoli rabe, Rhonda had the Ahi Tuna. Catherine said her soup was delicious, Rhonda loved her Ahi and Sue's Calamari was delicious and a very different presentation. My Foie Gras as good (I don't know foie gras not to be) but nothing outstanding. I think I would have preferred the Calamari.

Entrees were Catherine's trout which looked really good, nice and perfectly cooked, Sue and had the Short ribs. I had a taste of the short ribs which Sue thought needed more flavor, and I had to agree with that. It was cooked to melt in your mouth but lacked a punch of flavor. We both agreed our own version was better. Rhonda had the Fillet which also looked very good and she enjoyed it. I had the Confit of Duck Leg which was excellent. The skin was super crispy and very flavorful. That was a winner.


For desert Rhonda had the Sticky Toffee Pudding which seemed to be the winner desert. Cathrine, and I had the Biegnets. No, they were not authentic Cafe Du Monde type biegnets but I liked them. They were more like donuts, or as Sue put it fried Pillsburry biscuits rolled in sugar. They came with two sauces, salted caramel and chocolate. I loved the caramel sauce and thought the chocolate was just so so. At the end of the meal we were presented with a plate of truffles and little chocolate peanut butter candies.



We also got a visit from the chef and her baby.
I had been to Hawks once before and was not impressed at all. I was happy that this time out the food was much better and I enjoyed everything that I had. I still don't think it lives up to the hype.. for me it still doesn't have the "Wow" factor. Would I recommend it? Yes, for a special dinner I think this is a good place.

No comments:

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP