Thursday, April 24, 2008

FARM FRESH TO YOU

I got my box of vegetables today. I don't know what time it arrived since we left around 5:30pm for dinner and it hadn't arrived yet. When we got home it was on the front porch. What I got is the regular box to be delivered every 2 weeks. This week the box contained a bunch of spinach, a bunch of baby leaf lettuce, 4 apples (15lbs),one onion, 2 bags of snap peas, a bunch of asparagus (1lb), bunch of carrots and a bag of mushrooms, and a bunch of cilantro. Everything looks really good except the the mushrooms.. they were kind of sad looking.
They were pretty brown and bruised looking, certainly not the ones I would pick out at the grocery store. I wasn't sure if this box would have too much produce for me to use up in 2 weeks but I don't think it will be a problem, we'll have to see. That is one of the things I liked about FFTY, you can change the size of the box and contents and how often to receive delivery from once a week to once a month, plus you can cancel at any time.
If there is anyone out there who receives a box from Soil Born Farms I'd like to know how this compares. I know Soil Born Farms charges $420 that has to be paid up front for a once a week box that has to be picked up either at the farm or the Food Co-op. FFTY charges $29.00 per box for the regular box. I don't know if they deliver all year long or not, Soil Born is from May to October. I haven't done the math so I don't really know how the compare in price for the season.
I think I will need to see a couple more boxes to know if I'm going to be happy with this service.. so far so good.

3 comments:

Rajesh &Shankari said...

Looks good especially those peas.

Unknown said...

I think you could do much better at the farmers market for 29 bucks..but I could be wrong. I cook every single night though..well, I might skip one night a week.

Eileen and Karen said...

I cook every night also other than weekends. I don't buy veggies or fruit very often at the grocery store..so this is one way I have to do veggies and fruit, plus it's delivered to me.. I'm just lazy. I've never been to the farmers market here in town..

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP