Thursday, March 20, 2014

BILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD



YUM right?  Let me assure you it is.. crunchy, caramely,chocolaty, very very rich.  Did mine turn out looking like this?  NO.

Here is the recipe:  Shortbread


 Preheat oven to 350 degrees
line an 8" square pan with foil, allow 2" of foil to overhang on two sides.
have on had a candy thermometer or instant read thermometer








In a food processor combine:
1 stick cold unsalted butter
3/4 C flour
1/3 C sugar
1/4 C fine cornmeal ( didn't know if mine was fine so I put it in the food  processor before beginning and pulsed it a few times)
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Pulse until dough forms.  Press the dough into the prepared pan in a even layer.
Bake about 25 minutes until firm and the edges are golden brown.
Cool completely.

Caramel:
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 C heavy cream
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 C sugar
2 Tbsp water


in a small sauce pan melt the butter, cream and salt.- Keep warm

In a medium sauce pan combine the sugar and water; cook over medium heat without stirring until the mixture turns a golden caramel color. ( at one point it will almost look like a big solid mess but it will all melt down- you can add a couple Tbs of water and swirl if you like)

Carefully (slowly) pour in the warm cream..be careful it will spatter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the temperature reaches 230 degrees.  Immediately pour over the cooled shortbread.
Let cool 45 minutes.  I don't think that 45 minutes is enough to cool the caramel.  I would let it stand at least an hour or more or after 45 minutes put it in the refrigerator until cooled.


The Ganache:

9 oz. 70 percent dark chocolate
3/4 C heavy cream
flaky sea salt



Finely chop the 70 percent chocolate.  *A note here.. I've never had good luck working with high percent chocolate.  I figured I'd give it another try.. no, it did not work.  My best luck is with plain old chocolate chips.

Heat the cream just to a simmer, immediately pour in the chopped chocolate.  Let the chocolate stand until it begins to melt.  Stir until smooth.
at this point my ganache was beginning to separate

Pour the ganache over the cooled caramel. This may have been why my finished product didn't turn out, I don't think my caramel was cooled enough.
Spread the ganache evenly with an offset spatula.
Cool and sprinkle with the flaky sea salt.
I think that was another of my mistakes..my ganache was still hot so melted my salt.
Refrigerate until chilled.
Lift out the square using the foil. 
Cut the shortbread into squares, serve slightly chilled.

I'm not sure what separated here.  I know the ganache was beginning to separate when I poured it over the caramel.  Like I said, I've not had good luck working with high percent chocolate.

It doesn't look like it's supposed to but it tastes good.  It is so rich, one square is almost too much.
I will try again with regular chocolate chips and hopefully it will turn out, at least looking better.



adapted from Food and Wine Magazine

No comments:

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP