Sunday, February 14, 2010

SUNDAYS WITH MARLENA - LEEK FRITTERS

\These sounded really good so I thought I'd try them to go along with my Fish Brouchettes. It is a very quick easy recipe. I was not over whelmed with the results, sorry to say. Don't get me wrong, it was good but I guess I was expecting something else, a more pronounced onion flavor.
Here is how it goes together:

LEEK FRITTERS

4 large leeks,thickly sliced
1/2-3/4 C coarse matzo meal
2 eggs lightly beaten
large pinch of dried thyme or basil
freshly grated nutmeg
vegetable oil for frying
salt and pepper
lemon wedges

Cook the sliced leaks in salted boiling water until tender. Drain and cool. Roughly chop the leeks. Put them in a bowl and combine with the matzo meal, eggs, herbs, nutmeg and seasoning. I would highly season the batter. I found the batter to be quite stiff so I added a little water to make a less stiff batter.
Heat the oil in a frying pan. Using 2 tablespoons spoon the leek mixture into the hot oil, cook over medium heat until golden brown, flip and brown on the other side. Drain on paper towels, serve with lemon wedges.
The lemon gives it a spark.
And don 't forget to go check out Shankari and Mel's blogs for their Sunday with Marlena recipes.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Leeks are pretty mild. Maybe green onions would give it that more oniony taste?

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP