Sunday, February 7, 2010

SUNDAYS WITH MARLENA- CORIANDER AND CHEESE YEASTED FLAT BREADS


After I made the Baba Ghanoush I was looking through the cookbook and this was one of the recipes that I chose to make. I thought these flat breads would go well with the Baba Ghanoush.

It is a very delicious onion/cheese bread that smells incredible while baking. Since I couldn't find my dough hook I opted to knead the dough by hand. I guess I'm a wimp.. my muscles were sore the next day. This is a fairly stiff dough so it did take quite a bit of energy to get everything kneaded. But it was well worth the pain and effort.


Corriander and Cheese Yeasted Flat Bread


makes 10

preheat oven to 425 degrees


41/2C bread flour

2 7gram packets of dried active yeast

1tsp sugar

1 bunch fresh chives chopped

4-6 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)

3-5 Tbsp dried onion flakes

1C water plus a little more if dough is too stiff

5Tbsp plain yogurt

3Tbs olive oil

9oz Halloumi cheese finely diced.


Mix the flour, yeast, sugar,chives, coriander,and onion flakes in a bowl, mixer or food processor. Add the water, yogurt and oil and mix to form a dough. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until smooth. Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough in it, cover with a clean dishtowel or plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.




Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down the dough with your fist. Knead in the cheese and knead for another 4-5 minutes.




Divide the dough into 10 pieces and shape each piece into a flat round about 1/2" thick. Place the dough on a non-stick (or a pan sprayed with Pam or on a silpat)baking sheet and leave to rise about 10 minutes or until doubled in size.



Bake the flat breads fr about 15-20 minutes or until they are risen and golden brown. This smells so good while baking.. and it's great fresh out of the oven. It goes well with the Baba Ghanoush (recipe above)..the onion, cilantro and cheese mmmmmm.. It's an easy recipe and pretty much fool proof. I don't usually do well with yeast so if it worked for me it will work for you. Try it, it is worth the little bit of work it takes.

Mel and Shankari also have some great recipes for you also.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Holy Cow! I am making some of that Eileen.

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP