Sunday, May 31, 2009

A DAY IN YOUNTVILLE



We took a day trip today to Yountville. We got there around 2 so we checked out the little shops. Across from Bottega is Napa Style, Michael Chiarello shop featuring all his products. I bought some Chardonay Oak Smoked Salt and a bottle of olive oil. Isn't that convenient that his shop is right across from his restaurant. After buying my goodies we walked across the street to check out what Buchon had on their menu in case we couldn't get a table at Bottega. I thought it would be fun to just have some appetizers at Buchon and maybe just walk down the street grazing if we couldn't get into Bottega.We got a seat in the bar area and ordered drinks. They brought us out some great bread and butter
Charlie had the Mussels with cocktail and a Dijon aoli. They were some of the best mussels I've had, very fresh. Charlie enjoyed them also.I had the Rustic Pate with mustard and cornishon with a little arugula salad. It was sprinkled with some course salt..delicious! Then I noticed how many Pomme Frites (french fries) that came with the sandwiches. Charlie doesn't even like fries but he ordered an order of them just to see if the were good. They were wonderful! Hot, crispy and salty. I wish he hadn't ordered them I love fries, I was doing good but now I want to eat all the fries! I had to make the waiter take them away so I didn't keep picking at them.
After all those fries we thought we'd better take a walk down the street to work off some of the fries.. it was 3:45 and we were supposed to get to Bottega at 5:00. We walked down the street and checked out the menus at Bistro Jeanty and also Ad Hoc. We walked around for a while then headed back to Bottega to see if we could get a table.
We got back to Bottega about 4:45 and I check in to see if we could get a table. I was told that we could sit in the bar area but it was first come first served or sit out on the patio with reservations at 5:00. I decided the patio would be nice since the weather was so beautiful. We started with more cocktails.. I had the Chiarello Cab. and Charlie had his Margarita.
I started with the Wood Grilled Octopus with olive oil braised potato, pickled red onion and salsa verde. The octopus was so tender and it was a delicious salad.
Charlie had the Shaved Brussel Sprout and Asparagus Salad (sorry the color on the pic is so off)
with Marcona almonds,sieved eggs, Pecornio and citrus vinaigrette. It was delicious. I never thought to use brussel sprouts raw or asparagus for that matter either.
Charlie had the Wood Grilled Spiced Quail with pork and olive sausage, Calabrese braised romano beans, yukon gold potato and a red wine quail reduction.. so good.
I had the Eggplant Goat Cheese Lasagnette with an arugula salad. It was very tasty and creamy.

Of course, desert. We shared the Strawberry,Black Pepper and Balsamic vinegar with whipped cream over a slice of some kind of cake. Cake was dry but the strawberries were refreshing. With the desert the waiter recommended a Birbet a light fruity wine, like a muscat but though it wasn't, it tasted like it was effervescent.It was a great day, we hadn't been to Yountville in a few years and the food was wonderful and fun. Next time I'm definitely going to go Buchon for dinner.. give me an excuse to go back.


1 comment:

undercover caterer said...

I love the fries at Bouchon too!

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP