Wednesday, June 4, 2008

COCONUT CAKE WITHOUT COCONUT

My experiment:
I had time this evening ( no where I had to be) so I thought I'd try making a coconut cake, plus I had some left over sour cream. Since my husband doesn't like coconut I opted just to use coconut milk (12oz.can). Separate the fat in the milk (the top layer) from the milk and reserve. This is really a semi home made cake. Just a box of white cake mix follow the directions but use the coconut milk instead of water. Bake as directed. While the cake is baking, mix a half a cup of sour cream with about a 1/4C of coconut milk and 3 or 4 tablespoons of sugar. Mix to dissolve the sugar. Normally at this point I would add shredded coconut but not this time. After the cake comes out of the oven, flip the cakes out of the pan and while hot poke holes all over the top of the cake. Divide the sour cream mixture and spread onto the cakes. It will soak into the cake.

For the Frosting: Blend 1/8 C butter softened, plus the fat from the coconut milk add 1tsp vanilla, a pinch of salt. Add 11/2-2 C powdered sugar and blend using some of the remaining coconut milk to get a good creamy consistency. If it is too thin add more powdered sugar or if too thick add a little more milk. Frost cake as you normally would.
It turned out great! No coconut to get stuck in your teeth but all the great coconut flavor.

_Eileen_

No comments:

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP