Friday, February 8, 2008

TEXAS BROWNIES


I have a new oven so I wanted to try out the convection oven. I've never used a convection oven before but I know you have to cut the temperature and the time. I tried it the other night and used the Convection Roast to roast some turkey wings and thighs.. I set it for delayed start and timed bake since I wasn't going to be home when I was supposed to start the roasting. I set it to roast for 2 hrs, which I think was a little too long. I loved the way the convection oven browned the turkey.. so much more golden brown than in a conventional oven. I think if I were home to baste the turkey now and then and maybe not have roasted it as long it would have been a little better, but as it was it was good. So now I wanted to see how it baked.. So tonight I made some Texas Brownies, more a cake than brownie but so good. I found my oven automatically sets itself 25degrees less than the stated temperature. So, with this recipe it calls for the oven to be preheated to 400 and when you punch that number in and hit convection bake it automatically drops the temp. to 375... how cool is that? OK so here is the recipe: preheat to 400 generously butter a 171/2 X11" jelly roll or shallow pan.
2C flour
2C granulated sugar
1/2C butter or margarine
1/2C shortening
1C strong coffee or water
1/4C dark unsweetened chocolate
1/2 C buttermilk
2 eggs
1tsp baking soda
1tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
In a large mixing bowl combine the flour and sugar. In a heavy saucepan combine butter,shortening,coffee or water and cocoa. Stir and heat to boiling.
Pour boiling mixture over the flour and sugar in the bowl. Add the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla. Mix well using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer.
Pour into the prepared pan. Bake 400 for 20 min. or until the brownies test done in the center.
Frosting:
1/2C butter or margarine
2Tbsp dark cocoa
1/4C milk
31/2C unsifted powdered sugar
1tsp vanilla
While the brownies are baking prepare the frosting. In a saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa and milk, heat to boiling, stirring.
Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla until frosting is smooth. I use a hand held mixer and beat it right in the pan.
Pour and spread warm frosting over brownies as soon as they come out of the overn.
Cool and cut into 48 bars.
Enjoy.. these are addictive...good thing it makes a lot

No comments:

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP