Sunday, April 29, 2012

Rhubarb Crisp

 It's Rhubarb season!  I love rhubarb.  My grandmother always made rhubarb pie when in season and every once in a while my mother would make it for us.  My mother was not a baker so it was not often that she made this. After my grandmother passed away I decided that I would try to make a rhubarb pie.  I still haven't mastered it.  It always comes out too runny.  This time I tried a crisp because I was too lazy to make a crust.  Basically a crisp is fruit mixed with sugar and spices and topped with a crumble topping.
This turned out delicious but again it was a little too runny (too much juice) which isn't a bad thing because it is wonderful over vanilla ice cream.  I have to work on getting the consistency a little thicker.  Maybe use corn starch rather than flour?  Well here is the recipe, it's good juicy or not.

preheat oven to 350 degrees

Rhubarb Crisp
6-8 C fresh rhubarb cut into 1" pieces
1/4C flour
1-11/4C sugar depending on how tart the rhubarb is.
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl tossing well to combine.  Pour mixture into a baking dish.

Crumble Topping

1/2 C flour
1//2C packed brown sugar
1/4C butter
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
Lightly work the ingredients with fingers or a pastry cutter to a crumbly consistency.  Spread the crumbly mixture over the rhubarb.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the rhubarb is cooked through. Rhubarb should be soft but holding it's shape.
Serve warm or cold.  Good with either sweetened whipped cream or ice cream.

No comments:

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP