Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pick a Peck of Pickled Peppers


Pickled Jalapeno peppers and one jar of wax peppers. This is so easy to do. We have 3 Jalapeno pepper plants plus a friend got tired of pickling his so he gave me a bag full also. This is virtually fool proof. Our friend pickled his peppers last year and they were so good I asked for his recipe. He said just add vinegar and salt. Ok, what proportions? He didn't know so at first it took a little experimenting to get it down. Now, I don't have exact proportions either. I just go by the taste of the vinegar/salt mixture. I would say approximately for each cup of vinegar add 4-6 Tbsp more or less of salt. Taste and see if it has a good balanced salt to vinegar taste to it. If it is too vinegary add more salt, if too salty add a little more vinegar, it should have a nice balance. Sterilize the jars and lids (put in a deep pot, fill to the top of the jars and boil for 10 min.) let cool then stuff in peppers and garlic cloves (as many or as little to suite your taste). Fill with the vinegar/salt mixture to cover the peppers completely. Let sit at least 2 weeks (no need to refrigerate). Enjoy! The garlic cloves are good too. As you can see in the picture the jar to the left is ready to eat now. The wax peppers and the jars on the right I just put up yesterday. These are good eaten right out of the jar, sliced on to nachos, tacos, anything to give it a added kick.

I have an abundance of green cherry tomatoes and am wondering if this method would work on them. I think I'm going to try a small jar and see what happens. I don't think I've ever had pickled tomatoes. I'll let you know.
Does anyone know if you can use green tomatoes like you would use tomatillos? I was wondering if I could make a salsa verde out of them.

No comments:

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP