Monday, August 16, 2010


This is a recipe from Chef Ame Harrington of the Urban Kitchen and L Wine Lounge. This is one of their most popular dishes. You will see why when you make it. It is so delicous. Be warned that this recipe takes a little time. The ricotta has to drain for at least 4 hours and the gnude has to sit for an hour after making the dough. It is easier to start the day before, have everything prepped and then it's very quick to put together.
It is so worth the effort!

For the Picada:
1 C day old torn bread, crusts removed. Use a good French or Italian bread
1/2C slivered almonds
zest of half an orange
2 strips of bacon fried crisp and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
3 Tbsp good olive oil (divided)

Preheat oven to 350.
Toss the bread with 2Tbsp olive oil, spread onto a sheet pan and toast in the oven until golden brown about 7-10 min. Remove bread from pan and add the slivered almonds, toss to coat with the remaining oil in the pan and toast in oven until lightly toasted.
This step can be done the day before.
When ready to put the gnude together; put the toasted bread, garlic and orange zest in a food processor or using a mortar and pestle crumble the bread into crumbs. Pour into a bowl and add the bacon and toasted almonds, season with salt and pepper and add the tablespoon of olive oil, mix well.
Set aside.

For the Gnudi:
1lb whole milk ricotta cheese
1/2 C finely grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
1C all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
couple pinches of white pepper
Drain the the ricotta in a cheesecloth lined colander for about 4 hours or over night in the refigerator. In a medium bowl combined the drained ricotta with the egg and parmesan cheese and mix well. Mix in about 3/4 of the flour,salt and pepper until just incorporated. If the dough is too sticky add the rest of the flour. Let the ricotta mixture sit for an hour. Divide the dough into quarters. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into logs about 1 to 1/2" in diameter. Using a sharp knife cut the ricotta logs into 1/2 inch pieces.
Add the gnude to boiling salted water in batches, until the gnude rises to the top. Scoop out and drain in a colander spread onto an oiled sheet pan until ready to use. The gnude will keep for 3 days covered in the refrigerator.

Putting together the gnude:
3 ears corn shucked and kernals cut off the cob
1 bunch sage
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/2C sliced green onions, onions or shallots
5oz butter
white pepper

In a medium sautee pan melt 3Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add sage to the butter and saute until the butter starts to brown and the sage becomes crisp, remove sage. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onion is translucent. Add additional 2 Tablespoons of butter ( I only added 1Tbsp)let melt then add the gnude and corn. Saute the corn and gnude until heated though. Add 2Tbsp water, bring to a quick simmer to form a sauce to coat the gnude. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

To serve:
Put the gnude into a serving bowl and top with the Picada and the fried sage.

1 comment:

Unknown said... are one hell of a cook! I am way, way impressed. Nice photos and great recipe.

I know you worked hard on this. Thanks a lot! I am stealing the recipe.

  © Blogger template Coozie by 2008

Back to TOP