Wednesday, February 3, 2010

NEW MEXICAN RUBBED PORK TENDERLOIN WITH BOURBONN-ANCHO SAUCE

I had one piece of pork tenderloin that I thought I'd use, usually the tenderloin is pretty bland unless it's marinated or rubbed. I had Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill cookbook sitting out so I flipped through it and found this recipe. It was a little bit hard finding all the chilli peppers and powders so here's what I did. I couldn't find Ancho, Pasilla or chile de arbol powders so I bought the dried chilies, at least I found the Ancho and I had the chile de arbol. I couldn't find any dried pasilla chilies but did find green chilies. I don't know what kind of chilies those were but it seemed to work. I just used an old coffee grinder and powdered a couple of each chilies to make the powder and it worked great.

For the tenderloin-2lbs pork tenderloin
3Tbs ancho-chile powder
2Tbs light brown sugar
1Tbs pasilla chile powder
2tsp chile de arbol powder
2tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground allspice
Kosher salt
2Tbsp olive oil
Bourbon-Ancho sauce
preheat oven to 400 degrees
Stir together the ancho powder, brown sugar, pasilla powder, chile de arbol powder, cinnamon, allspice, and 1 tsp salt in a small bowl.
Heat the oil in a medium oven proof saute or frying pan over high heat. Season the pork with salt and pepper on all sides then dredge or rub in the spice rub tapping off any excess. Place the port in the pan and sear on all sides until golden brown... about 8-10 minutes.

Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the port to medium- 8-10 minutes.
Remove the pork from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice into 1 inch thick slices. Spoon sauce over or spoon sauce onto the middle of four plates and arrange pork slices (3) on top and spoon more sauce over the pork. Garnish with chives or cilantro.

Bourbon-Ancho Sauce
2Tbs olive oil
1 medium red onion finely chopped
2C plus 2 Tbs bourbon*
3 ancho chiles, soaked, seeded and pureed*
5 C chicken stock
1C thawed apple juice concentrate
8 peppercorns
1/4C packed light brown sugar
Kosher salt.
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan on high. Add the onions and cook until the onions are soft, 3-4 minutes. Add 2C of the bourbon, bring to a boil and cook until it is reduced to a few tablespoons. About 5-6 minutes.
Add the ancho puree,stock,apple juice,peppercorns,and brown sugar and cook stirring occasionally until reduced by half.
Strain through a fine strainer and return the sauce to the pan and reduce over high heat until it reaches a sauce consistency about 15 minutes. Add 2Tbs of bourbon and cook 2 minutes more, season with salt. This can be made up to a day ahead and refrigerated. Reheat before using.

*I didn't have enough bourbon so I used a mixture of bourbon and brandy. Worked out fine.

*to make the chile puree : place the dried chiles in a bowl and pour boiling water over, let sit for 30 minutes. Remove the chiles from the water, reserving the water, remove the stems and
seeds. Put the chiles in a food processor with a little of the water and puree until smooth.


3 comments:

shankari said...

I don't even eat so much pork, and my mouth is watering :)

kritiostodd said...

Todd is drooling over my shoulder...he said, "That looks good!!!" Not sure Darby would appreciate this meal, but I know Todd really would!! :-)

Unknown said...

This dish is brilliant! Dave says he is making it..but I hope not for tomorrow! lol!

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP